For Current Updates on COVID-19: mathcamp.org/covid-19
Last updated 4/1/2020
Safety is our first priority. We are monitoring the situation very carefully, and following the guidelines of the CDC and Vermont Department of Health. This is a time of great uncertainty, but we expect the situation to be much clearer as we get closer to camp. We are proceeding under the assumption that Mathcamp 2020 will take place as scheduled:
Mathcamp currently has no plans to cancel our program for summer 2020.
We are moving forward with new student admissions, returning alumni sign-ups, awarding financial aid, and hiring summer staff. We hope that the measures being taken now, both locally at Champlain College and in communities around the world, will control the spread of COVID-19 and allow us to run Mathcamp this summer.
We are working closely with Champlain College to put protocols and contingency plans in place. We are laying the groundwork now so that we are prepared to take appropriate precautions this spring and to respond to any issues that arise during camp. As of now, Champlain College is canceling only March and April events on campus; they still plan to be open over the summer, and will update the community again on April 6th with further information. Read Champlain's updates.
Planning Travel to Camp: Please hold off on booking travel until after the April 6th update from Champlain College.
Pre-Camp Precautions: Admitted students (new and returning) and staff should expect some additional paperwork in May and June, which may include requiring a health check and a confidential travel registry. We will be in touch with the families of admitted students as we work with Champlain to develop the appropriate precautionary steps.
On-Site Protocols: The Mathcamp staff will work in conjunction with Champlain College's team to ensure the health and safety of all of our participants. Every summer, we have a Camp Nurse on staff to provide adjunctive care (supporting daily medications as well as responding to illness or injury during camp); the Camp Nurse will be carefully monitoring our population throughout summer 2020. Champlain will provide on-campus programs with resources such as an isolation dorm in case the need arises. We will work with the Custodial staff (who disinfect campus spaces) and the Dining Hall staff to keep our students and staff safe, and respond rapidly in the case that any participant becomes ill. And of course, we will be following the appropriate guidelines for healthy habits and preventative measures.
Withdrawals: Our policy has always been that refunds for late withdrawal are available for medical reasons. Students who are symptomatic or have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 should not attend the program. Students whose travel is affected by a COVID-19 outbreak should contact Mathcamp right away, and we will offer similar withdrawal considerations in those circumstances. If circumstances require us to cancel camp, we will of course fully refund all tuition fees.
International Students: It is impossible to predict what the situations for different countries will be this summer, so at the moment we are admitting international applicants as usual. However, we recognize that the developing situation and travel advisories might make it particularly difficult for students to come to camp from outside the United States. We will work with all students to the best of our ability to make it possible for them to participate, but again, our first priority is the safety of all our students and staff.
Alumni: The calendar for alumni commitment and registration will be shifting this year to run a little bit later than usual. See dates & deadlines for more information, and stay tuned for periodic updates from Marisa and Kevin.
Is there an online option? Based on feedback from our alumni and summer staff, we are looking into the possibility of offering an online version of Mathcamp in the event that we are forced to cancel the in-person program. A "Virtual Mathcamp" would be available to both returning alumni and new students, with a full schedule of classes, projects, and social activities. A non-residential program would naturally be offered at a reduced cost. We thank you for your patience while we explore this possibility.
We will continue to update our community throughout the spring as the situation develops. We plan to make our next updates in mid-April. For the time being, we join our communities in taking appropriate precautions (sheltering in place) to flatten the curve.
April 1: Added information for alumni; introduced online option.
March 26: Clarified that all travelers should hold off on booking tickets.
March 16: Broadened language for the whole community, including staff.
March 11: Created full page to introduce policy updates for students.
March 3: Added initial announcement.